Thursday, August 30, 2007

Philip Morris: "You can feel the difference in your throat!"

Well, tomorrow marks my second week in New York. I can't believe it--seems like 2 days rather than 2 weeks. I'm finally starting to feel like a human again, rather than a crazy Canadian in transit. Still broke, but there's a lot of stuff you can do here when you don't have a lot of money. Also, oddly enough, living here has made me healthier. I'm exercising more, eating less, and mostly cooking at home. Produce here is pretty random in terms of prices, but there are a few little shops I've found where you can put together a whole meal for 2-3 bucks. I've even started eating breakfast again, I meal I used to always skip, but now I kind of like my yogurt and granola (I shamelessly stole this idea from Matt). I've already gone down one waist size, without even hitting a gym--just through walking everywhere, sweating A LOT, and eating less crappy processed food.

When I first started walking down to my favorite cafe, it seemed to take forever, and I'd be sweating and gross by the time I got there. Now, it's a pleasant walk, and the nice blonde girl knows that I always get my large iced americano. Yes, I'm OCD about these things, but I love my routines. Do I have a favorite chair outside on the patio? Possibly. Do I get cranky and Rain Man when someone's sitting in it? No comment.

Going to visit the Paley Center today, otherwise known as the sweet, sweet house of 140,000 archived television shows and commercials. Believe it or not, this is one of the first things on the 'just for me' list that I've done since getting here. It's a long fucking list. But aside from visiting The Strand and Forbidden Planet Books, I've mostly just done CUNY- and job-related stuff for the past 2 weeks. A leisurely day is in order.

Now, for your viewing pleasure, may I present the original I Love Lucy intro, complete with shameless whoring by their sponsor, Philip Morris Cigarettes:





(And Lucy's amazing "TV Commercial"):



Nobody does it like Lucy!

1 comment:

cynical romantic said...

You may no longer be a crazy Canadian in transit, but you're still a crazy Canadian. :p