Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Best Day Ever

Let's go over how awesome this day has been, shall we?

1) NYPL didn't have the book on Bonanza! that I needed for my lecture on Friday--it is apparently only in their Performing Arts library, which is on 64th and Broadway

2) my NYPL card is fucked up and not working properly for some reason

3) I couldn't look at the James Dean picture book that I wanted, since their photography collection is PROTECTED BY AN ELECTRONIC GATE. You need a special key-card and permission from Special Collections just to look at their coffee table books

4) my CUNY id card is apparently expired--the security guard imprinted the wrong date on it, and I almost got thrown out of the Hunter Library because they didn't believe I was a teacher. So now I can't take any books out of Hunter--i.e., the books that I needed for Friday--because my id card is fucked

5) the lecture that I spent hours on this morning--based on images from I Love Lucy and Leave it to Beaver, which I lovingly organized and captioned--was a bust today because the AV equipment wasn't working. The technician claimed that my graphics card was shot, but when I asked his assistant, he said that it was probably just the cable that they gave me. So, since I couldn't use the projector and had no extra notes, I had to improvise an entire lecture on the two shows.

6) because of the timing of this grad class, I have to negotiate the subway every tuesday during rush hour. I got elbowed, kicked, stepped on, and screamed at today while transferring from the 6 to the 7 at Grand Central.

7) there seems to be one functional PC in the CUNY computer lab

One good thing that happened today: I saw Carmine Giovanizzo, who plays Danny on CSI: NY, walking down 5th Ave. He looked hotter in person, but very stern. I can believe that he grew up on Staten Island. I almost walked into a pole. Then I thanked Sweet Jesus for giving me one happy moment today in this fucking city.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Wow! New York is Awesome!

You'll get used to it. And if you don't, there's always psychotropics.

Dr. Jes Battis said...

if only i had some right now....

cynical romantic said...

we're working on it!!!