Sunday, October 14, 2007

Weirdness

I never thought this article would generate so much controversy. People from McMaster are writing letters to The Post, and SSHRC is preparing an official response. Honestly, I just hope it dies down soon and we can talk about something else. This isn't "fifteen minutes of fame," it's really just odd, disturbing, and hopefully temporary.

But if it generates discussion around freedom within the arts, I'm all for it. I listen to The Indigo Girls, too! And I read Patricia Cornwell Novels, and watch Ugly Betty sometimes, and I even own a Siouxie and the Banshees tape from the early 90s.

1 comment:

Christine Marie said...

You'ed be interested to know that this thing was a bit of a reference point for us in my theory class this morning as we were discussiong Gramsci's "The Intellectuals" from the Prison Diaries. But of course you're feeling a little weird about it all--I can't even begin to imagine the bizarreness of it all.

I never thought I would say this, but at least you are in the US and in NY rather than Canada. I think Canadian universities and especially cultural studies departments are in a little bit of a flurry over it. Misrepresentation of the humanities--even in the National Post--is really the last thing we need right now.