Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thanks

A list of things I'm currently thankful for:

1. My family and everyone, of every species, whom I love and who love me. I have blessings literally coming out of my ass. I'm so lucky.

1. Having a job that I love, and for which I'm very well-compensated.

2. Living in Canada, where 90% my medical costs are federally absorbed by a healthcare system that, while by no means perfect, still operates semi-adequately and saves lives. I'm hoping that, by 2011, the cost of gender-reassignment surgery will be covered as a category of non-discrimination, and that this definition of being 'categorized' will be protected by Alberta's Human Rights charter.

3. The fact that I can write, which I would do anyways, and actually get positive public feedback on my writing, is amazing. It's like having people say cool things about you for eating a sandwich, petting your cat, or doing some other enjoyable thing that you'd be doing regardless. Imagine watching a Pedro Almodóvar movie, really enjoying it, with plans to watch another one--probably Mujeres al borde de un attaque de nervios, because it features gaspacho as a plot element--and suddenly, out of nowhere, a cheque drops into your hand. That's what it feels like to get paid for writing. It makes you feel privileged and vaguely nervous all the time, because you're afraid of being a failure, or afraid that you might want to be a failure.

4. The coffee and dessert I had today with Juan-Sebastián.

2 comments:

Sebastiaan Bach said...

I think it was Juan

Jes Battis said...

He sure was a beautiful sight to behold while I drank my coffee and ate my desert. That Juan.